A community-minded, facts-driven media professional with more than 20 years of editing and management experience, and whose extensive background in print and digital media platforms can be a valuable asset in developing and executing communication strategies.
Second Stanza Media, Harrisburg, NC
June 2018 — Present
Freelance Writer And Editor
- Founded Second Stanza Media, secondstanzamedia.com, a full-service communications and media company that offers freelance writing, editing, copyediting and proofreading services to meet the specified needs of clients.
- Services include content writing for websites, branded content, contractual editing and research, data processing, corporate storytelling, blogging and photography.
The Press News Group, Southampton, NY
October 2003 — May 2018
Editor, The Southampton Press Western Edition
- Our newspapers won scores of New York State Press Association awards during my tenure, frequently winning top honors in many fields and consistently placing in the top three of some of the state’s most competitive categories, including the Past Presidents’ Award for General Excellence that closely evaluates a newspaper based on its design, editorial content and effectiveness in accurately reporting and conveying the news.
- Responsible for assigning, editing and posting news and feature stories for one of the company’s three nationally recognized weekly newspapers covering the East End of Long Island. Main daily duties included managing and assisting six full-time reporters, overseeing the master story list, assigning and editing stories, and posting breaking news stories on 27east.com, The Press News Group’s website.
- Additional duties included researching and writing editorials and columns on a wide range of local, state and national topics, editing dozens of letters to the editor each week, and meeting with local elected officials, civic leaders and nonprofit representatives to discuss pertinent issues and listen to their ideas and concerns.
- Other responsibilities included training new reporters, selecting and distributing assignments to freelance writers and photographers, and planning special sections.
St. Joseph’s College, Patchogue, NY September 2001— May 2005
Adjunct Professor, Journalism
- Developed curriculum and taught an “Introduction To Journalism” class that primarily served as a writing workshop. Students learned how to write obituaries, profiles, breaking news and feature stories, as well as how to effectively identify and interview sources. Additionally, they learned how to follow the “inverted pyramid” when prioritizing information, and the importance of maintaining objectivity. Students had the opportunity to experience “city room” journalism in which they interviewed subjects in the classroom before turning around copy.
- Developed curriculum and taught an “Introduction To Magazine Writing” class that focused on the planning and writing of longer feature stories, and how to pitch their finished articles to publications. Emphasis was placed on developing detailed outlines, conducting research, and tracking down vital information, statistics and sources. Students also learned how to write “nut graphs” that concisely summarize an article’s primary message, as well as the importance of writing for a specific targeted audience.
The Long Island Advance, Patchogue, NY December 1998 — October 2003
Editor, The Long Island Advance
- Researched and wrote between six and eight news and feature articles a week, while also managing and editing copy generated by a small staff, for a weekly newspaper that covered the Town of Brookhaven.
VNU Business Media Inc., New York City September 1997 — December 1998
Associate Editor, National Jeweler
- Reporter and editor who covered the international diamond and colored gemstone industry, a multibillion-dollar market, for a well-respected trade magazine. Assignments required frequent travel, both domestic and international, and demanded strong expertise to both analyze and clearly explain complicated industry patterns and trends.
Boston University, Boston, MA
Master’s Degree, Print Journalism—1996
St. Joseph’s College, Patchogue, NY
Bachelor’s Degree, English—1995
Extensive experience with Adobe InCopy and InDesign, as well as Content Station and Image Mover, all of which are utilized to produce The Press’s three weekly newspapers. Adept in photography, newspaper design, and managing and updating social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Head coach/manager of a girls age 10 and under travel soccer team for Smithtown Kickers organization.
- Assisted students with production of St. Joseph’s College student newspaper, The Talon.