Media professional with more than 20 years of editing and management experience, and whose extensive background in print, digital and social media platforms can be a valuable asset in creating, developing and executing communication strategies.
Second Stanza Media, Charlotte, NC
June 2018 — Present
Freelance Communications Consultant and Writer
- Founded Second Stanza Media, secondstanzamedia.com, a full-service communications and media company that offers freelance writing, editing, copyediting and proofreading services to meet the specified needs of clients.
- Services include content writing for websites and portals, branded content, contractual editing and research, data processing, corporate storytelling, script writing, blogging and photography.
- Clients include Wells Fargo, Allstate, American City Business Journals and The Express News Group.
Wells Fargo Bank, Charlotte, NC
July 2019 — April 2020
- Freelance consultant assisting with the development and implementation of communication strategies for initiatives within the company’s Business Process Management and Robotic Process Automation functions.
- Responsibilities included writing comprehensive articles and video scripts that explain the management discipline’s capabilities, interviewing subject matter experts and writing articles highlighting the benefits of robotic automation, interviewing group leaders and sharing their success stories, and developing talking points for executives.
- Also reviewed and updated corporate policies to meet federal regulatory commitments, and assisted with other internal communications.
The Press News Group, Southampton, NY
October 2003 — May 2018
Editor, The Southampton Press Western Edition
- Our newspapers won scores of New York State Press Association awards during my tenure, frequently winning top honors in many fields and consistently placing in the top three of some of the state’s most competitive categories, including the Past Presidents’ Award for General Excellence that closely evaluates a newspaper based on its design, editorial content and effectiveness in accurately reporting and conveying the news.
- Responsible for assigning, editing and posting news and feature stories for one of the company’s three nationally recognized weekly newspapers covering the East End of Long Island. Main daily duties included managing and assisting six full-time reporters, overseeing the master story list, assigning and editing stories, and posting breaking news stories on 27east.com, The Press News Group’s website.
- Additional duties included researching and writing editorials and columns on a wide range of local, state and national topics, editing dozens of letters to the editor each week, and meeting with local elected officials, civic leaders and nonprofit representatives to discuss pertinent issues and listen to their ideas and concerns.
- Other responsibilities included training new reporters, selecting and distributing assignments to freelance writers and photographers, and planning special sections.
St. Joseph’s College, Patchogue, NY September 2001 — May 2005
Adjunct Professor, Journalism
- Developed curriculum and taught an “Introduction To Journalism” class that primarily served as a writing workshop. Students learned how to write obituaries, profiles, breaking news and feature stories, as well as how to effectively identify and interview sources. Students learned how to follow the “inverted pyramid” when prioritizing information, and the importance of maintaining objectivity.
- Developed curriculum and taught an “Introduction To Magazine Writing” class that focused on the planning and writing of longer features, and how to pitch their finished articles to publications. Emphasis was placed on developing detailed outlines, conducting research, and tracking down vital information, statistics and sources. Students also learned how to write “nut graphs” that concisely summarize an article’s primary message, as well as the importance of writing for a targeted audience.
The Long Island Advance, Patchogue, NY
December 1998 — October 2003
Editor, The Long Island Advance
- Researched and wrote between six and eight news and feature articles a week, while also managing and editing copy generated by a small staff, for a weekly newspaper that covered the Town of Brookhaven.
VNU Business Media Inc., New York City, NY
September 1997 — December 1998
Associate Editor, National Jeweler
- Reporter and associate editor who covered the international diamond and colored gemstone industry, a multibillion-dollar market, for a well-respected trade magazine. Assignments required frequent travel, both domestic and international, and demanded strong expertise to both analyze and clearly explain complicated industry patterns and trends.
Boston University, Boston, MA
Master’s Degree, Print Journalism — 1996
St. Joseph’s College, Patchogue, NY
Bachelor’s Degree, English — 1995
- Microsoft Office software: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Adobe Incopy and InDesign
- Content Station and Image Mover
- Adept in managing and updating social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Newspaper design and layout
- Treasurer of a U12 girls travel soccer team for the Charlotte Independence organization.
- Former head coach/manager of a U10 girls travel soccer team for the Smithtown Kickers organization.
- Former advisor of St. Joseph’s College’s student-run newspaper, The Talon.